I went to the Obstetrician on Friday for an ultrasound to check Dragonfly's weight. We had hoped to do a VBAC, and since I meet all the criteria (no major health issues, no gestational diabetes, no pre-eclampsia or high blood pressure), the next two steps are to check the weight and then hope the baby descends into my pelvis on his own. My doctor suspected that he was big, but wasn't sure how much, and this has a big impact on if he'll descend and if I can do a VBAC.
Boy, was the doctor right to have concerns about his weight! Dragonfly weighs 7 pounds, 4 ounces as of Friday, which would put him around 9 pounds, 4 ounces at birth. The doctor says now that we'll have to wait and see. If he descends on his own, then there is still hope for a VBAC- it's successful about 40% - 50% of the time with this criteria. If Dragonfly doesn't descend, then it's less than 5%. So, with that said, if nothing happens on it's own, we'll do another c-section. This isn't what I wanted, but the goal is to minimize risks, which is why I wanted a VBAC in the first place. While a c-section is generally riskier, an emergency c-section carries a lot more risks than one that is planned.
A friend told me to just push for it, if I really want a VBAC. But I just don't think that's safe, given the info I have. What do you all think?.