Sunday, August 31, 2008

Dragonfly weighs how much?

I went to the Obstetrician on Friday for an ultrasound to check Dragonfly's weight. We had hoped to do a VBAC, and since I meet all the criteria (no major health issues, no gestational diabetes, no pre-eclampsia or high blood pressure), the next two steps are to check the weight and then hope the baby descends into my pelvis on his own. My doctor suspected that he was big, but wasn't sure how much, and this has a big impact on if he'll descend and if I can do a VBAC.

Boy, was the doctor right to have concerns about his weight! Dragonfly weighs 7 pounds, 4 ounces as of Friday, which would put him around 9 pounds, 4 ounces at birth. The doctor says now that we'll have to wait and see. If he descends on his own, then there is still hope for a VBAC- it's successful about 40% - 50% of the time with this criteria. If Dragonfly doesn't descend, then it's less than 5%. So, with that said, if nothing happens on it's own, we'll do another c-section. This isn't what I wanted, but the goal is to minimize risks, which is why I wanted a VBAC in the first place. While a c-section is generally riskier, an emergency c-section carries a lot more risks than one that is planned.

A friend told me to just push for it, if I really want a VBAC. But I just don't think that's safe, given the info I have. What do you all think?.

7 comments:

Cheri said...

As the mama of a big baby (10 lbs and early) with a big head, I can't imagine natural birth. I did have a C-section after extended labor.

Pray about it. Listen for God's answer. And follow it.

Susan said...

I don't know anything about birth stuff, I just know JR was a bit big for me. In the US they probably would have C sectioned me. As a result the doctors strongly recommended that I do not get pregnant again for 2 years after JR's birth. But the Lord will tell you what to do. I have no information to give, but thinking of you with a BIG healthy boy on the way.

Kathleen said...

Wow, this is a tough one. I had a c-section with my son, after a 12 hour labor that didn't progress, even though I really wanted to deliver vaginally. My baby weighed 9lbs 5 oz so they were concerned that he'd get stuck in the birth canal (and his head circumference was the same size as his shoulder width and hip width so that could have been problematic).

I'll have to make the same decision is and when we have a second child, so I'm curious to see what you do. As of now, I think I'd do a c-section again just because I know what to expect and my recovery wasn't bad at all. Not that it will be the same the next time, but I'd still be worried about rupturing my c-sect incision during labor.

*carrie* said...

Well, all of us commenters so far have had big babies!

I'll be praying for you, Abbey, that the decision will be clear one way or the other. It makes me think of Isaiah 30:21 "Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will have a voice behind you, saying 'This is the way; walk in it.'"

Jacquie said...

My 2nd DD was 9lbs 1oz, and the easiest birth of all 3 girls. I did not have a c-sec with any so that doesn't really help much does it.

With Jillian my Dr was convinced she was going to be huge, pushed for an induction. She was only 8lbs 6oz. Seems I had alot of amniotic fluid.

I hope when the times comes all falls into place for what you want.

Danielle said...

Yikes! That is tough. My first 3 were completely natural.

Number 4 was a c section because he was sideways! I was scared of an emergency c section because my labor is only two hours long and they could not schedule me before my due date. I actually went into labor at the dr office one week before my scheduled c section! They wheel chaired me over to the hospital (once my labor hits, I can't move!) Anyway, all that to say, God was certainly in control! and I could not have planned it better:-)

Number 5 was a vbac, no problems, and he was over 9 lbs!

Trust God to guide you and talk openly to your dr. I'll be praying also.

bren j. said...

Boy, that's a hard decision and nine pounds! That could be a big baby....but how accurate is that weight projection? They told me the LG would be AT LEAST 8 pounds and she was exactly 7 and only two days 'early'....