Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Works-for-me-Wednesday: Peanut Butter and Chocolate Surprise Cookies

Surprise Cookies

1 cup Kar.o Light Corn Syrup
1 cup Sugar
2 cups Peanut Butter
6-8 cups Special K
1 bag Her.shey's Kisses or Bra.ch's chocolate stars (open & unwrap ahead of time)

Combine light corn syrup and sugar in a large pot over high heat. Wait until you see it start bubbling and turn burner off. Add peanut butter quickly, and stir well. Add Special K until the cereal is all well covered and sticks together. Take one piece of chocolate and make a ball of peanut butter mixture around the chocolate in about 1 & 1/2 inch balls. Lay on wax paper until cool and hardened. Makes about 4 dozen. Since Special K is the main ingredient, these cookies are actually really healthy... hehe! ;-)

* * * * * *

Note: These cookies have evolved in our family over generations. My grandmother found the recipe (many of you might already know it) for peanut butter bars with melted chocolate on top. She later decided she liked them as dropped cookies better. My Mom used Bra.ch's chocolate stars or Her.shey's Kisses for the chocolate bit on top, to give the cookies a nicer look. I've now put the chocolate inside, hence the surprise part of the name. We even had a period where they were called "Lifeguard Cookies" because I used to make them for the lifeguards when I was a pool manager! Does anyone know what the original recipe was called?

Stop by Work-for-me-Wednesday hosted by Shannon at Rocks in my Dryer for more 5 ingredients or less recipes!

3 comments:

Amy Jo said...

how funny! I am planning on making something similar to what your grandma made, I guess. I ussually make bar cookies with rice krispies and Karo syrup, but I have Special K in the house so I'll use that instead. I never thought to make them into drop cookies instead, and especially never thought to put a surprise in the middle! I always make that treat around July 4th, but this year I think I'll change it up with some of your ideas. Thanks!

Jacquie said...

Mmmmmm sounds yummy!

The Correspondent said...

Okay, these look interesting. And since I love peanut butter and chocolate together, I can't wait to try them. They might make good Christmas goodies/gifts. Thanks for posting this recipe!