Tuesday, June 3, 2008

If we are actors on God's stage...

Another part from that book I really loved, Gilead, by Maril.ynne Robins.on, reads:




"Calvin says somewhere that each of us is an actor on a stage and God is the audience. That metaphor has always interested me, because it makes us artists of our behavior, and the reaction of God to us might be thought of as aesthetic rather than morally judgmental in the ordinary sense. How well do we understand our role? With how much assurance do we perform it?"




I love this verse mostly because it gives me a context of which to think of God. It reminds me of my view of Love Bug. The world is her stage and I am her audience. I have no doubt that God is a much more divine audience (and much more polite, since he never yells, "Mommy says don't touch!" at me). But I hope he takes as much pleasure watching me, as I have in watching Love Bug. I hope that, like me, he sees missteps as endearing. I also hope, that like him, I can find positive ways to help Love Bug find her way (and her way to Him) when she has done wrong. Love Bug is my child, and this text reminds me that in a similar way, we are the children of God.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I couldn't agree more. I have heard that comparison before and I feel it makes sense. I too at times feel like I am not best audience or actor but I strive to be better. I know God knows that too.

tootie said...

This was so sweet! I love the comparison.

Nicol said...

I really liked that! As parents we are preparing our children to take the lead on that stage. I'm glad that it is a long ways off until Livy will be taking that role, but I want her to be prepared. And that means that I must be her audience. Thanks for sharing!