Monday, May 5, 2008

Pregnant? Oh yeah, I forgot!

I apologize for the messed up spacing and font... I couldn't get it back to normal and had to put these periods in to keep spaces between paragraphs!
.
I realized I haven't told you all much about my pregnancy. When you have another child to take care of, it's not on your mind constantly, like it was your first time. That's not to say I'm not excited and feeling incredibly blessed... it just means that I really don't have much time to think about it! When I do think about it, what I find incredible is that this happened without even trying- we hoped to be settled in Italy before we had another baby. Love Bug was conceived after scary tests, over two years of trying, and lots of prayer. She was a miracle, but to be considered "fertile" now is even more miraculous.
.

I'm almost 18 weeks. We have the big ultrasound in three weeks and will hopefully find out what we're having. I know, I know... I'm no fun. It's for my sanity really. All of our baby gear is neutral, but we have a problem in the clothing department (picture all pink, all flowers... all the time). I will have to buy a few things for each age range if it's a boy. I won't go crazy, but I can't leave the house with him dressed in pink all the time. Poor child might end up in a few of Love Bug's sleepers as it is. A healthy baby is the most important thing, so we don't care what gender it is, but secretly, I hope it's a girl. I didn't have a sister and would be thrilled if Love Bug did.

.

I've felt pretty good... just some typical morning sickness and heartburn. My doctor now thinks I have a thyroid problem. I'm going to see an endocrinologist to have an ultrasound of my thyroid done next week. My actual thyroid hormones are great, but my thyroid stimulating hormone is really low. They think it's either small thyroid nodule or just a problem at the lab. They've successfully reassured me that it's not cancer, since my TSH would be normal (not low) and I'd have a noticeable lump (which I don't), so that makes me feel better. Please pray for the baby's safety, and mine as well. But hey, knock on wood that this is my worst complication, and I'll be one happy Momma.

.

So far Love Bug has no idea (obviously, she's only 18 months), but we have a few babies for her to carry around. We will keep those as a focus as the day gets closer. The only big impact on her was that we stopped breastfeeding a month ago. I decided in the end that it was such an amazing bonding experience between the two of us and it was only fair to the new baby to repeat this one-on-one time. Maybe it sounds silly, but I didn't want the new baby to have to compete for my attention in that way, and I didn't want to stop too late, for fear that Love Bug might be mad that the baby took this special time away from her. Love Bug had weaned herself down to two feeds on their own, so I forced the last two, but she took it really well. No interruptions in her schedule and she has never pulled my shirt up once. We made it almost 17 months, with no need for formula or supplements, and I feel really good about that.

.

I definitely feel more prepared, if that's reassuring to those of you who have yet to attempt round two. I have the maternity clothes, know what to expect, and generally feel much less worried and stressed about this pregnancy. I'll keep you posted, but really, with a toddler to chase around, it will hopefully keep going by quickly, happily, and healthily.

5 comments:

tootie said...

It all sounds so exciting! I'll definitely keep you in my prayers that you and baby stay healthy.

Random question - how is it speaking to the doctors? Any language barriers?

Nicol said...

That is so exciting! I can only hope that when we decide to start to try again that it won't take us as long. We tried for 7 years to get Livy.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Good luck with the ultrasound. I thought that was super exciting to find out what we were having. I couldn't stand not knowing what we were having. A sister for C would be special!

Oh, and thank you for the book recommendation. I have it on hold at the library.

*carrie* said...

Abbey,

So will the name start with a D?! Thanks for the update--keep us posted!

Sarah said...

How exciting and congrats! I look forward to when we have our next but I am very content with the way life is now I must say.

you will be in our prayers as well.

Jacquie said...

Hmmm good question. Are you guys thinking a D name??

Glad that all is going well. Sometimes I miss being pregnant soooo bad. But I can't keep having babies just to have a baby, right??? That's what I keep telling myself.