Wednesday, March 26, 2008

How an Easter Side Dish Became an Easter Dinner for Nineteen...

Last week my husband's boss invited us all over to their house to celebrate Easter. We bought all the ingredients to make a few pans of my favorite potato casserole and planned to head over to their place mid-afternoon on Sunday. Then his boss called last Thursday to say that his daughter was in the hospital with a kidney stone. My husband decided to step up and be the impressive new guy and invite everyone over. Yes, everyone... spouses, kids, for a grand total of 19 Easter guests.

I went to Easter Vigil Mass on Saturday night to make sure I had all morning Sunday to prepare! I'm glad I decided to do this. Despite Easter Vigil Mass being over 2 hours, it is definitely worth it and is one of my favorite masses of the year. There is a bonfire at the beginning, which is shared as everyone lights their candles around the church. The readings and music are always the best and most moving. I thoroughly enjoyed myself this year, even though we spent a lot of the beginning in the dark and I had to console Love Bug through it.


Easter dinner at our place went amazingly well after we bought two big hams, stuffing, green beans, and tons of pineapples for my husband's pineapple casserole. Everyone had a great time, loved our place, and it gave us a chance to host our first get-together here. We love to have parties and this was a great first, of what will probably be many, parties here in Rome. Here are a few pictures of the fun:



Most of the girls gathered around the table...










Love Bug doesn't want to have her picture taken... but Mommy tried!











And the men were in the Living Room...










Why is it that men and women separate at these things? We also had people in the kitchen and children running around the house. It was a full house and a lot of fun.


And if you're interested, here is the recipe for one of the side dishes we served (which was also the dish I planned to take to the original gathering). I got it from my Mother, who got it from someone else. None of us can take credit for it's creation!


Potato Casserole
Heat oven to 350 F

30 oz. frozen potato cubes, small (or you can use hash browns)
1/2 cup green onions, chopped fine
1/4 lb. melted margarine (1 stick)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup crushed corn flakes
4 tsp. melted margarine (1/2 stick)
... and pepper to taste

Thaw potatoes and then mix with green onions, margarine, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and salt. Pour mixture into a 9 x 13 pan and spread evenly. Then sprinkle with crushed corn flakes, and drizzle with the margarine (4 tsp.). Bake at 350 F for 45-60 minutes, usually closer to 60 minutes.


Enjoy! And I hope all your Easter celebrations were as good as mine!

4 comments:

Susan said...

Yum! Sounds like a wonderful Easter fest:) Rome sounds like a regular party place and a ton of fun.

*carrie* said...

Abbey,

Good job for hosting--especially at the last minute! That potato dish sounds yummy!

Jacquie said...

I gotta try the potato casserole, sounds yummy.

Our kids never want to take a picture when we want them too, do they? LOL.

Looks like the meal was a success.

tootie said...

Kudos to you for making such a huge feast! Sounds like a great Easter!