Monday, January 14, 2008

Greetings from Bella Roma!

First, jet lag is horrible with a 14 month old! It was so much easier when she slept all the time and we were only back in the States for a week. This time, after being back for four months, Love Bug is fully fixed on Central Time. Life in Italy, seven hours ahead, is not going well so far! I keep trying to remind her that she was born in Europe, so that should be her "natural" time, but she just looks at me and giggles.


On a side note, isn't this dress cute? More and more I think that when we have more kids, I wouldn't mind another girl. I'd certainly save money.






We tried to go sight-seeing, but it didn't go very well. We got all ready, the sky finally looked blue and sunny (after three days of rain), and then before we left the apartment complex we felt a few rain drops. By the time we got to the end of the block, it was really pouring. I had heard that Italy has more rain than France, but I didn't believe it.


I guess now I do.





I did take one picture while I was out, of those big black bins in the middle of the road. What are those you ask? They are trash bins. The dark green bins, black in this picture, are for trash, and the blue one is for recycling plastic, glass, and aluminum. I've heard that there is also a white one for cardboard and paper, but I haven't seen it yet. Every few blocks, they are blocking the sidewalk, stinking, and as tall as me. I'm all for the easy recycling, but I hate how much they ruin the look of the street.




And there is a lot of amazing stuff to see... stuff that I don't want to be covered by trash bins. So far, what I've seen by car and walking around the neighborhood is beautiful. Many of the buildings range in color from tan to golden to terra cotta, so they really look beautiful in the sun. There are palm trees everywhere and the Roman ruins and old city walls pop up out of nowhere. I think once we get out more, I will really love this place.



Last thing I wanted to share is a picture of my keys. I love that we have skeleton keys now- it's so neat! Most people I've met have the same, so it seems to be standard here. The only bad part is that they're big- about as long as my hand- and they weigh a lot too.







I'll let you know more about how things are going and share more pictures as we get out. The first place on my list is Trevi Fountain, so look for that this weekend. We're supposed to be getting our stuff at the beginning of February, so I'll also give you a house tour of our new place once we're settled.

4 comments:

Cheri said...

Oh, they're here, they're here! Welcome to Italia!

It doesn't really rain all the time -remember it's winter right now.

But the rain? You'll be praying for it in the summer when you haven't had a drop in weeks or months, and you can't stand the thought of going outside in the heat to water your plants that are praying for rain with just as much passion as you!

carrie said...

Abbey,

So glad you made it safely and that you're getting a feel for your new neighborhood.

Love Bug's dress is so sweet!

Susan said...

Oh, I feel you! JR had a hard time adjusting back too. He did great in the US. After fighting for sleep the first week, JR is now sleeping "like a baby?"

I never thought of Italy as a big rain place, what a surprise! Cannot wait to see more photos. I have never been to Rome, sounds so fun.

Jacquie said...

Yay you made it.

LoveBug looks sweet as ever.

FYI having all girls, it totally rocks it when I put an outfit on that they have all worn. It is bittersweet at times also given they are 13, 6 and 2.