Monday, November 5, 2007

White Chili Recipe

Do you ever feel like you have all these spices that you don't get to use enough? This is the recipe for you! I just love it and it's a perfect alternative to regular beef chili! I bet some of you more creative cooks out there could modify it for any vegetarians as well...

White Chili

1 1/2 cup diced onions
1 minced garlic clove
1 teaspoon ginger
1 jalapeno pepper finely chopped ( you can also use the canned version)
1 tablespoon flour
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts- cut into cubes
2- 15 ounce cans of any white beans- rinsed (we recommend Northern)
14 1/2 ounce fat free chicken broth
1 teaspoon of dried oregano
1 teaspoon of ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste

Spray a large, heavy saucepan with vegetable oil spray and heat until hot. Add onions, garlic, ginger, and jalapeno and cook for five minutes over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook for one minute.
Add chicken, beans, broth, and herbs, and heat to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer and cook covered until chicken and beans are cooked. Discard bay leaf and season to taste with salt and pepper. Note- if it's not "hot" enough, add a bit of hot pepper sauce. It can also be slow cooked in a slow cooker for about five hours.
Spoon into bowls and served with shredded cheese, sour cream, parsley or chopped cilantro- and corn bread.
Yields six servings.

Also, I have a Giveaway update... both of my Giveaway winners responded enthusiastically, so I will not be going to my alternates. Sorry, but thanks again for playing!

4 comments:

Leah in Iowa said...

This recipe looks SO delicious! And I think I have everything to make it onhand except the white beans. They're going on my list though. Thanks for sharing it!

carrie said...

Abbey,

We make a similar recipe, and it's one of my husband's favorites. Since I don't eat red meat, and he's allergic to tomatoes, it's the only chili we eat!

Jacquie said...

Hey that sounds quite yummy. I'm going to have to try it.

Susan said...

Looks delicious!