Saturday, September 1, 2007

It's official- I've been in France too long!

My husband and I are huge football fans and every fall we follow college football religiously, especially the Big Ten. Today is the start of the season for many teams and it's an exciting day in our house. My Mom and I were talking today about how nice it will be when we're back in the US for a few months this fall so I can see the games in person too (my family has season tickets).
Then, she asked what game I was watching right then. I told her none, because Love Bug just watches TV obsessively if we turn it on, so we never watch TV now that's she's old enough to be interested. My Mom said that she understood, but that she planned to have the games on at home while we're there and hoped it was okay. I could hear my brother in the background, yelling something about " we have to have the games on!"
I told her it was fine because Love Bug goes to bed just after the games start, so she won't see that much anyway. My Mom sounded confused, but we just continued on with our conversation.
It took me about 10 minutes to figure out why my Mom sounded confused. Games start here at either 6 or 7 pm and continue all night... but we're 7 hours ahead of central time! So, actually, games start at 11 am or noon, and Love Bug will be up for almost all of the games when we're in the States!
I have lived here so long that I now believe football games start at 6 or 7 at night and continue into the wee hours of the morning (I have actually set my alarm at gotten up for the 2 am game- 7 pm in the US- because we are that crazy about football). After four years, maybe we will have a harder adjustment that I thought. I just read an article about it and how we need to prepare ourselves for a cultural shock. I thought it was ridiculous, because I have no problems when we visit. But maybe they're right. Stayed tuned for some funny mishaps if I'm not as well adjusted as I think!

No comments: