Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Works-For-Me-Wednesday: Baked Good made fresh and easy!

A volunteer organization I'm in does a lot of bake sales, so I often need freshly baked cookies to sell. My daughter isn't old enough for school functions, but I'm sure the Moms with school aged kids have to do this a lot as well. Rather than make batches of cookies one by one, I make batch after batch of cookie dough on a day when I have time, then freeze them in rolls.





Here is how it's done...
First, you put the dough across a long sheet of wax paper...







You roll the dough forward with your hands, using the pads of your fingers to push the dough further back into the roll and get out all the air bubbles. Then twist both sides tightly- the goal here is to make a flat edge on both sides.






The finishing touch (which is totally the kind of thing I love to do to save time) is that I write the temp needed and time to bake on the side of the dough roll. This way when I take it out of the freezer to bake the cookies, I don't even have to pull out my cookbook and check the recipe.

Here are my dough rolls lined up in the freezer. This is enough dough to make at least 144 cookies, which will last me for many different bake sales. I made these all on one day in about a half hour and didn't even have to wash the bowl and measuring cups between batches. When you're ready to bake them, you put them in the fridge for about 30-60 minutes to slightly soften them, just enough to cut through the dough. Then you can just slice them into flat cookie shaped pieces, lay them on a cookie sheet and bake. The only thing to clean up afterwards are the cookie sheets.

Want some REALLY great ideas? Visit the host of Works-For-Me-Wednesdays at Rocks In My Dryer.

15 comments:

Miss Huckleberry said...

GENIUS! I am so going to try this next time I make cookies. Over the winter Mr. Huckleberry begs for Snickerdoodles nonstop and I end up making dozens and dozens of them- this should definitely help save time. Thanks for the great idea!!

carrie said...

Good idea, Abbey. I need to try this.

Lori - Queen of Dirty Laundry said...

Great, great, great idea! Now to find a day to do it all...

Susan said...

I need to try this. Thanks!

Mo said...

When I was a child we used to have a big Open House Party on Christmas Eve, and my grandmother would do this in preparation...the nice thing is, they have a rather long 'freezer life'.

Great tip!

Linda (RibbonRockStar) said...

OH MY! I am definately going to use this idea!

Thanks for posting.

Linda

Milehimama said...

Can I have your Snickerdoodle recipe?
I love them but haven't found a good one (they all taste like take and bake sugar cookies to me).

I did the same thing with meatloafs and lasagna's in the freezer when I was pregnant - wrote the temp and time on the foil outside so that husband dear or whoever was helping out could handle it without me!

phyllis@imabima said...

don't you feel all accomplished and good inside when you look at those great cookie logs in your freezer? i did just looking at yours for you!!!! great idea, thanks.

Christine said...

Another use: grab a cup of coffee and sit down in front of the TV with one of these bad-boys. YUM. (I know, I need counseling.)

Jacquie said...

That is a great idea! Gotta try it out, or pass it along to DH he is the Betty Crocker of the house.

Adena said...

Great idea!! I don't have much freezer room now but we are getting ready to move and I will have much more freezer space. I hope to incorporate this idea!! Thanks for sharing.

Susan said...

You will never guess! Check this out. http://frugalhacks.com/?p=90

penguinsandladybugs said...

What a great idea....I love it!!

jtcosby said...

YOU ARE BRILLIANT! You might want to patent this idea ;)

Leah in Iowa said...

Nice tip! I usually freeze mine into little balls for another day, but I'll have to try this. Do they bake up nice and round still, or not?