Sunday, August 5, 2007

I really do love Paris

Today we decided to get out of the house, despite the fact that the movers come in just 6 weeks! Ahh!!! We've spent so much time cleaning out closets lately and it was a really beautiful day, so I couldn't resist. We went to the Canal St. Martin, which connects the Bassin de la Villette to the River Seine. It was so pretty and watching the boats move in and out of the locks was fascinating for Love Bug. Even though boats are constantly moving through, the water is actually very peaceful.










We stopped by the fountain at the Bassin de la Villette. It just isn't France if kids aren't playing in fountains, and no one cares to stop them!






It was really hot and Love Bug was getting so red and sweaty. Even though she's breastfed and they say can't technically get dehydrated, she loved drinking the water and letting it dribble on her romper to keep her cool.




Then we went to the Ile de la Cite, a little island on the River Seine and went to the Conciergerie, where Marie Antoinette and 2,700 were imprisoned before being sent to the Guillotine. Fascinating, but a little sad and heavy for such a beautiful and sunny day!

Last we walked to the Pont Neuf bridge. Pont Neuf literally means "new bridge", but it's actually the oldest in Paris, and construction was started in 1578.







Just beneath the bridge, on the edge of the island, is the Square du Vert-Galand. It's just a beautiful little park and the best view of the Seine and it's banks in the whole city.
I really do love Paris after all, but I just get frustrated by all the little inconveniences. I guess it's better to be inconvenienced in a place you love, than live a convenient, easy life in a place that makes you unhappy.

1 comment:

carrie said...

Abbey,

Well-written last sentence!

I dreamed about going to Paris as a little girl and was thrilled when I made my first trip there during college. On my 2nd trip, I spent a summer there, and become much less enchanted with the placed. So much of the city is dirty and smelly, which was a hard reality to accept. It's still amazing, don't get me wrong, but being there for a couple of months showed me that it wasn't as romantic a place as I'd thought.

But, of course, there are pros and cons to every place!