Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Works-For-Me-Wedneday: Making Your Own Baby Food

Baby food in France is full of junk. Most labels read with scary contents and say things like, "55% Carrots", "78.4% Peaches", or "60% Noodles or Chicken". I've had to start making baby food myself and I've found it really fun! Even in the United States, where the quality of the baby food is better, it can still be a great way to do something nice for your little one. It also saves a lot of money.

Since Love Bug is only 7 months old, we're just doing fruits and vegetables. I boil things until they are soft, but not so long that they lose all nutrients. The skins just come off of most fruits or I peel the veggies and then put them in a little food processor or use a hand blender. After getting them into a mushy consistency, I put them in old baby food jars (get some from friends or from the few healthy foods out there) and store them in the fridge.

To save time, I do multiple quantities of one fruit and one vegetable and load in jars for three days worth. And it's a good way to discover any allergies, because many babies won't react to one helping of something, but will after 2 or 3 days. Don't do more than 3 days at a time without professional canning equipment., or it can go bad, even in the fridge.

The other real bonus is that you can gradual blend the food less and less as your child gets teeth and can handle more "solid" foods. It can be a shock and a choking hazard to quickly switch from mushy baby food to the more solid toddler foods.

Once Love Bug is 8 months or so, we'll start blending whole grain pasta and sauce, and different lean meats. In fact, at that point, we plan to start blending up whatever we eat that night for her dinner too. Just make sure you add spices or salt/pepper after you take a portion out for your baby!

Want some REALLY great ideas? Visit the host of Works-For-Me-Wednesdays at Rocks In My Dryer.

3 comments:

Alli said...

I have a 7 (almost 8) month old as well. I've made all but a few servings of his food. I've had a lot of fun doing it. I make larger batches and then freeze them in ice cube trays and then transfer the cubes once frozen to freezer bags. Then I can pull out however many I need. I also have the freedom to come up with any combination. I think we'll be starting on meats, too.

I think homemade baby food is sooo much better than the jarred stuff. Tonight, I had to give my little one a jar of green beans and he made some terrible faces and kept spitting it out. Think I've spoiled him? I hope so! :)

Great post!

miranda said...

I used to do this too and would steam veggis, puree them and then put them in ice cube trays. We would just defrost a few cubes at each meal. I could do a lot of my son food for the next two weeks, save time, and know what's in his food!

carrie said...

A, good ideas. We've been doing cereal and are actually starting our son on veggies today! I want to make my own baby food, too.