Monday, May 28, 2007

Art Show 2007

I haven't talked about this at all, but a big part of my life this Spring has been planning the Art Show, for my husbands' office here in Paris. The last few years I've been involved in the entertainment and directed the choir, but this year I decided to volunteer to be the chairperson. I know, I know... nuts with a new baby (well, she was "new" when we started planning in January), but no one else volunteered. It's a great event and artists display (with the option of selling) their work and we have catering, wine, and a great entertainment schedule. We also had a Silent Auction again, which raised a lot of money. It didn't go to where I wanted; I had another great charity picked out that provides clowns and toys for children's' hospitals in France. My idea was voted against and that's okay... maybe I can do something else myself for that charity.

Well, it was last week and I'm so glad it's done. I was happy to do the job, but I'm amazed by how few volunteers we had overall. Maybe I'm accustomed to people wanting to be involved, because of my volunteer background. In college, I was in a volunteer organization and did community service a lot. I routinely did 6-8 hours a week and the more than 100 other people in the organization were the same. We also had parties and had fun together, but everyone was very serious about helping others too. It was a great group of people who really cared, and I guess I shouldn't expect that elsewhere, but I do. I just want people to be less apathetic and be more interested in all the fun things we can do and still help others.
I'm done griping, and here are some pictures of the event:




One side of the displays...






The other side...





One of our musical entertainment groups...

No comments: